This tutorial will show you how to install WordPress locally on your P.C..
We’re going to use WAMP for this task. WAMP stands for “Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP” which are the different elements that allow you to run WordPress on your computer.
Here’s how you do it:
Video on How to Install WordPress Locally on a P.C.
Step 1: Install WAMP
- Download WAMP to your computer.
- Run through the WAMP installation process.
- In your taskbar, down the by the date in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen, look for the WAMP icon. Click on that icon.
- You should see a popup. Click “Start All Services” and then click “Localhost.”
- Hopefully you’ll see a white screen with the Wampserver logo in the top-left corner.
Step 2: Download WordPress
- Go to WordPress.org and click on the blue button saying “Download WordPress 3.0.x”.
- The file you download should have a name like wordpress-3.0.1.zip
Step 3: Move WordPress to WAMP
- Click on the WAMP icon in your taskbar again and now click “www directory”. This will take you to the folder where WAMP stores its websites.
- Move your WordPress folder from Step 2 into this directory.
- Extract the WordPress folder.
- It will be confusing to keep accessing the website through a folder called /wordpress-3.0.1/ so rename the folder to something simple such as /wordpress/
Step 4: Set up our database
- Click on the WAMP icon in your taskbar again and now click “phpMyAdmin”. This will take you to the software where WordPress’s databases are managed.
- Find the field labelled “Create new database” and enter “wordpress”. Click “Create”.
- Hopefully you’ll see the name “wordpress” appear in the left column.
Step 5: Install WordPress
In your browser, visit this address: http://localhost/wordpress. You’ll see the the WordPress installation screen as below:
Installation Step 1
On the first screen, simply click “Create a Configuration File”.
Installation Step 2
On the second screen, simply click “Let’s Go!”.
Installation Step 3
Here you will need to enter the database information:
- Host Name: Localhost
- Username: root
- Password: [leave this blank]
- Database: wordpress
Installation Step 4
Simply click “Run the install”.
Installation Step 5
Enter the name of your site plus the password and email you’d like to use.
Installation Step 6
You should now have a shiny new installation of WordPress on your P.C. where you can develop your website securely in your local environment.