One of our members was wanting an efficient way to track which content needs review, so we created this tutorial for him.
WordPress has really useful features for content creation and maintenance. One of those features is the core “Pending Review” feature. “Pending Review” is one of two default statuses in WordPress, in addition to “Draft”. Click here to see the difference between Pending Review and Draft.
We’ll also show you how to use a really powerful plugin called PublishPress.
Option #1. Use the WordPress core
- When editing a new post or page, edit the “Status” field in the “Publish” section.
- You’ll see that “Pending Review” is one of the checkboxes:
- When you’re ready for it to be reviewed, click the “Save as Pending” link.
- I have the “Publish” button, make sure you don’t click it.
Now you have content that is not published, but is marked as “Pending Review”. Here’s how you find all that content.
- Go to Pages > All Pages.
- Click the “Pending” tab on top.
- You’ll see a list of Pages that need review:
The “Pending Review” status is also used in the PublishPress Revisions plugin which allows users to submit a revision for review. Those revisions will be set to “Pending Review”. A higher-level user can then come along and moderate the revision.
Option #2: The PublishPress plugin
The PublishPress plugin offers a more sophisticated range of options than the WordPress core.
PublishPress allows you to create your own status, or simply enhance the default “Pending Review” status. For more on PublishPress statuses, click here.
- Install PublishPress into your WordPress site.
- Go to PublishPress > Settings.
- Click the “Statuses” tab.
- On the right hand side, you see all the WordPress status options, plus some new choices such as “Assigned” and “In Progress”.
On the right hand side of the image above, you can see that 1 post is in the “Pending Review” status. Click the “1” link and you’ll see that post:
- On the main “Statuses” page we saw above, click “Edit” under “Pending Review”:
- Here you can edit the “Pending Review” settings and choose a description, color and icon:
These custom statuses make it very easy to see your content on PublishPress’ calendar screen.
In the image below, you can see the dropdown that allows you to choose only content in the “Pending Review” status. You can also see your post with the orange background and the custom “Pending Review” icon.