How to Add a Sitemap to Your WordPress Site
Every website needs a sitemap, but it might not be for the reasons you expect.
Sitemaps do not improve your ranking in search engines. However, they do make sure more of your site’s pages get indexed. They also make sure those pages get indexed more quickly. This article presents evidence that the difference is astounding:
- Google with a sitemap: 14 minutes
- Google without a sitemap: 1375 minutes
- Yahoo with a sitemap: 245 minutes
- Yahoo without a sitemap: 1773 minutes
I’m going to show you how to add a dynamic sitemap to your WordPress website.
- In your WordPress dashboard go to Plugins > Add New:
- You will see the “Add Plugin” page.
- Type “google xml sitemap” into the “Search plugins…” field:
- You will now see the “Google XML Sitemaps” WordPress plugin listed.
- Click on the “Install Now” button:
- In a few seconds, you will see the “Activate” button displayed instead of “Install Now”:
- You will arrive at the “Plugin” page with the “Google XML Sitemaps” plugin listed.
- Click on the “Settings” link:
- You will see the plugin settings:
There you have it. As you can see, your sitemap URL is ready, – no need to create sitemap.xml manually. It will get created on the fly, dynamically. Now everytime your create a post, page, or category, the plugin will notify Google, Bing and other major search engines for you accordingly.
Would you like to learn how to create great WordPress websites? Then join the OSTraining Video Club now. You will get full access to our entire video library.
Tahoo = Yahoo
Oops – thanks bp72!
Thank you very much. Thats super cool and simple instructions.
If the sitemap is submitted to a wordpress blog, does it automatically update when a new post is made on the blog? Or do we have to update the sitemap manually every time we create a new post?
Hey that was very helpful, However i had one more question…I have a 2 years old domain for my WP website http://www.b2bindemand.com/ i have recently started its SEO. I do not have any coding or website handling knowlegde…is there any chance that by installing this plugin my site can get unstable?? Waiting for your reply.
its really cool trick..
Great Article. I clearly understand.
nice article and i like it but how if i am want to use script and not plugin coz plugin is making site slowly and i hope u can next time make new article about making sitemap without plugin, it will be nice too. thanks
Wow i have tried it on my site (odiboapeter.com)
Thanks for the posting this informative post.
someone can explain why google return “couldn’t fetch” ?