ClamXav: Check for Malware On Your Mac
If you build websites, it’s important to make sure your computer is safe.
This tutorial will show you how to scan your Mac using ClamXav.
For Windows users, give our Malwarebytes tutorial a try instead.
- Go to http://www.clamxav.com/ and download the installer.
- Double click the downloaded installer.
- You should see a window with the above folders.
- Drag the ClamXav icon into the Applications folder to begin the install process.
- Read and click through the subsequent confirmations.
- To access ClamXav, do a search (top right, usually) for “ClamXAV”.
- Click on the application to open it.
- Click on Update Definitions to make sure you have the latest definitions loaded. You should do this each time before scanning.
- You’ll get a “Update Finished” message once it’s done.
- Select the folders that you’d like scanned, then click the “Start Scan” button.
- Scanning can take anywhere from a few seconds to hours, depending on the folders that you selected and the number of files within those folders.
Once scanning has completed, you’ll either get a “No infected files were found” message or a list of infected files.
Infected files can be quarantined or deleted by clicking on the file(s), then selecting the option that you’d like. Before quarantining or deleting, you should make sure that the files are not false-positives. If you’re not sure and if the file doesn’t contain sensitive information (e.g. an email), you can upload the file to https://www.virustotal.com/ to get a second opinion.
I run both OS X and a Win 8 on my VM. Only about 20% through and already found 2 infected dll files! thanks!
Is it also working with Linux? Ive installed ESET Antivirus and it works with Linux. I am just wondering if this also works fine with ESET