This week’s tutorial was requested by a student in our Drupal forum. They wanted to know how to add a slideshow to their Drupal site.
We recommend a module called Content Glider which allows you to show a slideshow in a block.
Installing Content Glider to Your Drupal Site
- Step 1: Visit http://drupal.org/project/content_glider to download the latest version of “Content Glider”.
- Step 2: Extract the files into a folders on your desktop. The folder will be called “content_glider”.
- Step 3: Login to your site’s files via FTP and navigate to /sites/all/. If there isn’t a folder called /modules/ here, create one.
- Step 4: Upload the “content_glider” folder to /sites/all/modules/
- Step 5: Go to Administer >> Site building >> Modules and enable Content Glider.
Configuring Content Glider
Step 1: It’s best to create a new content type for the slideshow, so we don’t get mixed up with our other nodes.
- Go to Administer >> Content Management >> Content Types
- Click “Add Content Type” and create a type called “slideshow”
Step 2: Now we can go and configure Content Glider:
- Go to Administer >> Site Configuration >> Content Glider
- Put “slideshow” into the “Content type for Glider 1:” field.
- Click “Save Configuration.
Step 3: Next, let’s make Content Glider live on our site:
- Go to Administer >> Site Building >> Blocks
- Publish the “Content Slider 1” block onto your site.
Step 4: Finally we can create the content for the slideshow.
- Go to Create Content >> Slideshow
- Start adding the nodes that will appear in your slideshow …