During 2013, we published almost 300 posts on the OSTraining blog. We wrote at least one post per week on WordPress, Joomla and Drupal.
So, at the end of the year, which posts did you find most useful?
I dug into our stats and found the 30 most visited posts of the year.
Looking into the stats in detail, I could also see big changes in the traffic sent by sites such as Twitter and Stack Overflow.
Interesting details from 2013
I’m going to highlight three major trends from our traffic during 2013:
- The rise of Drupal Planet: Drupal takes up 50% of our most popular posts list. Why? Because of Drupal Planet. The planet seems to be getting bigger and more popular. It consistently drives more traffic than any other source, except for Google. If you write about Drupal, you absolutely need to make sure your content is fed through the Drupal Planet.
- The rise of Stack Overflow: On most days, Stack Overflow threads were 2 or 3 of our most popular referrers. If you blog a lot of opinions, then S.O. probably won’t send you much traffic, but it sure is becoming a good source of traffic for posts that solve technical problems.
- Twitter quantity over quality: We got several tweets from Matt Mullenwegg ( @photomatt ), Andrew Clarke ( @malarkey ) and other power users this year, but it rarely made an impact for us. We loved the attention, but even tweets that go viral or come from power accounts don’t drive that much traffic. Our Twitter traffic was up over 60%, but that was more a result of increasing the quantity rather than the quality of our tweets.
- Using Drupal’s Advanced Forum Module
- Multiple image uploads in Drupal with Plupload
- Improving Drupal User Profiles with Profile2
- Adding Meta Tags to Drupal Content
- A Guided Tour of Drupal’s Settings.php
- A Drupal Dropdown List of Countries, States, Cities
- The State of Drupal 8: After Feature Freeze
- A Look at Commerce Kickstart 2 for Drupal E-commerce
- An Intro to Drupal Views Templates and Theming
- How to use Drupal’s Context Module
- A Beginners Guide to Drupal Overrides
- OSTalks #9 with Diana Dupuis from DrupalCon Austin
- 8 Recommended Themes for Drupal Beginners
- The State of Drupal 8: Toolbar, Inline Editing, Languages
- Node Option Premium: full Drupal content for specific users only
- Embed YouTube Videos in Joomla 2.5 and 3
- How to Upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to Joomla 3
- Move Joomla 1.5 content or users to 2.5 with J2XML
- Essential Health Checks for Your Joomla Site
- Joomla 3.1 Tags Preview
- Joomla 3.2: Over 15 New Features Worth Checking Out
- OSTalks #8 with Andy Miller from RocketTheme
- The New Joomla 2.5 to 3 Pre-update Check
- 8 Free WordPress Bootstrap Themes and Frameworks
- How to Customize the WordPress Login Screen
- A Guided Tour of WordPress’s wp-config.php File
- Is this what WordPress 4 will look like?